A major new office and workshop facility to relocate Siemens industrial gas turbine manufacturing operation from existing premises in Lincoln City Centre. The project consists of a three storey steel braced frame office building providing some 4500m² of floor space, together with a new service workshop of 7500m² in area.
ABA were employed to provide structural and civil engineering services including:
- The frame was formed using a multi-span battened frame with a clear eaves height of 10m. In total 620 tonnes of steel was used.
- The workshop structure was designed to accommodate a multitude of different cranes ranging from 20 tonne capacity overhead travelling cranes to slab mounted semi-portal cranes also supported by the main structure.
- A 5m deep underground pit was constructed as part of the project to house the high speed balancing machine.
- The foundations and slab were constructed on vibro-improved ground, and;
- extensive external works, drainage, and access roads were included in the scheme.